Get involved in building our industry’s future and current workforce
Perhaps more than ever, North Carolina’s building performance industry needs to reach out and support our industry’s future workforce while shoring up support for current professionals. NCBPA’s workforce development efforts are founded in addressing these needs with support from our members, partners and industry-at-large. This important work needs your support! Continue reading below for more information.
Our strategic goals for workforce development
Workforce development is one of the four categories of NCBPA’s 2017 – 2018 plan. Established in March of 2017, our activities include:
Establish strong industry-supported credentialing, certification and licensing standards.
Market career opportunities to high school, community college and university students.
Improve the perception of career opportunities in our industry’s skilled trade positions.
Offer and promote internship, co-op and apprenticeship programs across the state.
Offer continuing education, networking and other workshops and events.
Building bridges to support our future workforce
To directly address these vital needs, NCBPA provides:
- Free membership in the association for students and faculty. Gain access to our weekly e-newsletter, discounts to industry conferences and events, free webinars, product discounts and much more. Click here to join NCBPA for free.
- Our member job postings are sent directly to many community colleges, technical college and university programs across the state. Post your job with us to have it advertised across the state to students and more than 9,000 industry professionals.
- We connect high school students, college students and industry professionals seeking employment in our industry through the Job Seekers page on our website. Visit this page to see the talented students and industry professionals seeking internships, co-op positions, part-time and full-time jobs.
- Presentations to high school, college and university students describing industry job and career opportunities. Contact us to schedule a presentation!
Creating new resources to support our current workforce
To support lasting careers for professionals working in our industry, NCBPA:
- Regularly surveys industry professionals including company owners and operators to learn about changing hiring and employment trends in our industry. This valuable data helps us learn what certification and training programs need support, what salaries and benefits are trending so that we can inform interested students, and how educational curricula in place at high schools, colleges and universities across the state can be fine-tuned to address changing needs in our current and future business environment.
- Offers a variety of continuing education opportunities through industry conferences, workshops, networking events, online webinars and research. Visit our Events Calendar for a listing of upcoming events.
- Encourages member professionals to participate in Trade Councils and Committees with NCBPA staff and other industry professionals to help resolve important industry issues and form new ideas and opportunities that push our industry forward!
Get involved in these important industry initiatives
What can you do to support these initiatives? A lot! Here’s just some of the ways that you and your company can support workforce development in our state.
- Sponsor our workforce development efforts! These important activities are funded by our membership dues and will only get better with sponsorship from industry companies and stakeholders. Contact us to discuss sponsorship opportunities for our programs, events and more. For 2018, we’re actively seeking sponsorship for:
- “Careers in North Carolina Building Performance” large poster that can be places in high school, college and university classrooms and labs.
- Curriculum development funding for high performance residential and commercial construction.
- Advocacy and lobbying funds to support our efforts to increase state and federal funding for workforce training programs.
- Post your jobs on our Job Board to gain access to more than 9,000 industry professionals and students across the state, region and nation!
- View our Job Seekers page to see the talented students and industry professionals seeking internships, co-op positions, part-time and full-time jobs in our industry!
- Host students at your job sites – during or after work hours – to show them what our industry professionals are working on in North Carolina’s high performance homes and buildings.
- Sponsor an intern or co-op during the school year or summer. Contact us to get started!
- Schedule a video interview with us at your office or a job site to share your insights with our industry’s future workforce. Visit our Member Stories page for examples of these interviews. Contact us to get started!
- Present your company’s job opportunities to students in their classrooms, clubs and at career fairs with colleges and universities across the state. Visit our Events Calendar to see where we’re presenting and let’s do it together! Or, visit our Industry Events Calendar to view career fairs being held across the state.
- Become a part-time instructor for high school and college programs in your local area! Many community college programs rely on working and retired industry professionals to teach their students on a part-time basis. Some of these programs pay for these roles as well. Contact us or your local community college to get involved.
- Provide products, materials, tools and other resources to high school, college and university programs across the state to support classroom education and real world job training. See the list below for needed donations and sponsorships.
- Participate on an Advisory Board for educational programs in your local community. Contact your local program for more information.
Donate or sponsor to schools, colleges and universities
NCBPA is working with high schools, colleges and universities across the state to raise sponsorship funds and help these schools obtain donated or discounted products, materials, tools and other resources to support their classroom education and hands-on training programs. Here’s a list of items that North Carolina’s educators need to train our future workforce. Contact us to establish a donation or sponsorship for these and other items!
- High Performance Tiny House on Wheels: Many educational programs use hands-on wall and roof systems, mechanical equipment and more to demonstrate techniques and teach best practices. What better way than doing so on a tiny house on wheels? NCBPA is leading efforts to establish a high performance tiny house on wheels that can be shared by community colleges and universities across the state throughout the year. This plan offers programs one month of time with the tiny home to show cut-outs of wall systems, electrical systems and much more. Instead of each program having to build or buy their own, this one will be shared throughout the year. Contact us to discuss this tremendous learning opportunity!
- Mechanical Equipment: Donate working heat pumps, furnaces, ventilation equipment and more to aid students in learning how to install, repair and maintain modern equipment being used in homes and buildings across the state.
- Job Materials: Donate caulking, lumber, hardware and much more to assist students in putting their classroom training into action through hands-on builds and repairs.
- Testing Equipment and Tools: Donations are needed for high performance home and building testing equipment including blower doors, infrared cameras and much more. Product manufacturers looking for R&D support can even provide products and tools to programs for students to test them out, providing valuable feedback to help make better products.
High schools, colleges and universities that we work with
NCBPA is creating new connections with educational programs across the state in 2018. Currently, we work with the institutions listed below. Know of another one that we should reach out to? Contact us to help make a connection!