2018 Workforce Development Summit: Sep. 20th in Raleigh
This one-day Summit brought together industry, academia, nonprofits and governments to create the resources our industry’s companies and workers need to be successful now and into the future! Working groups addressed our most critical needs, focusing on career paths, curricula, diversity, job placement and more!
Have questions? Please contact us at Info@BuildingNC.org or 919-841-6207.
Scroll down for more information!
About the Summit
On September 20, 2018, NCBPA welcomed industry professionals and stakeholders to our Summit to help define and develop the workforce resources our industry needs to be successful. The morning’s opening presentations shared stories of success and need from across the state, helping attendees understand what we have, what we need and how to get there. Afterward, working groups formed from diverse backgrounds – faculty, industry pros, students and government representatives – to discuss these needs and opportunities and identify new ones.
Lunch provided “near peer” networking opportunities for attendees with peers from their own region. The Summit concluded with working group sessions focused on developing the actual resources our industry needs to be successful. These resources included:
- An outline for modernized curricula that colleges and universities can use to train our industry’s future workforce.
- A career “lattice” that illustrates to students (and their parents) the job, career and educational opportunities available in our industry.
- The requirements our industry supports for Apprenticeship programs that will help train future leaders that will work for our companies.
The focal point of the Summit involved working group sessions on six topic areas that NCBPA member companies believed to be the most important for our industry to address. Those topic areas are:
- Faculty Curricula
- Apprenticeship Programs
- Career Pathways
- Internships and Co-ops
- State and Local Resources
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Summit would not have been possible without the support of our Sponsors! Please visit their websites to learn about their companies!
Working Group Sponsors:
Attendee Scholarship Sponsors:
Attendees included industry professionals, nonprofits, students, faculty, government employees and other stakeholders. Colleges and universities represented by attendees included:
- Wake Technical Community College
- North Carolina State University
- Duke University
- University of North Carolina at Asheville
- Cape Fear Community College
- Pitt Community College
- Central Carolina Community College
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Summit Results, Presentations and Resources
Check back soon!
Click on a link below to view a presentation from the Summit:
- NCBPA’s Opening Slides and Survey Results
- BPI’s Nancy Kaplan: The Value of Partnerships in Training and Workforce Development
- NC Department of Commerce’s Michelle Muir: State Workforce Solutions
Check back soon!
Event Photos and Videos
Check out the gallery of photos from the event here!
Check back soon for video from the event!
Other ways you can help…
Can’t make the Summit or looking for other ways to help? Click on a link below for more information on NCBPA’s workforce development activities: