2018 Commercial Energy Code Workshops
NCBPA offers educational workshops for architects, builders and developers, contractors, code officials and others on the new 2018 Commercial Energy Code. Learn how to comply with the new minimum code requirements and exceed them through energy efficiency and high performance design, installation, products and services! Scroll down for more information and contact us to schedule a workshop at your company or in your region!
Have questions or want to schedule a workshop? Please contact us at Info@BuildingNC.org or 919-841-6207.
About the Workshop
Learn how to meet and exceed NC’s new commercial energy code
Register for this workshop to learn how to meet and exceed NC’s new commercial energy code requirements that become mandatory on January 1st of 2019. Expert instructors will provide architects, developers, contractors, code officials and others with details on key energy code changes and, most importantly, provide guidance on cost-effective means to meet and exceed the new code standards. Focal points include changes to construction documentation, building thermal envelope, air leakage requirements, commissioning plans and how to prove compliance without the availability of NC specific COMcheck.
Dates and Locations:
NCBPA is currently scheduling dates and locations across the state for October and November. Visit our Upcoming Events Calendar to see when workshops are scheduled and contact us to schedule one for your company or in your region!
- 30 minutes of networking with light food/drinks
- 75 minutes of presentation
- 15 minutes of Q&A
- Can be presented as breakfast, lunch n’ learn or late afternoon event (preferred)
- Jarrett Davis – National Technical & Building Science Director, MaxLife Industries in Charlotte
- Brad Bumgarner – Mechanical Engineer, Philips Gradick Engineering in Charlotte
- Scott Kind – Partner, Spirit Sales Group in Raleigh
- Abby Coulter – Commercial Buildings Specialist, NCBPA
- AIA HSW – 2 hours approved
- Code Officials – 2 hours planned
- Summary of key code changes, front and back
Review code changes (1 hr. 15 min):
- Energy code requirements for buildings of types F, S or U.
- Energy expended from process energy applications.
- Building types exempt from commissioning requirements.
- Allowances for trade-offs among building area types.
- Key section changes on thermal envelope, HVAC, insulation, duct systems, lighting controls, air leakage, occupant sensor controls, mechanical systems commissioning and all new sections.
- Changes to commissioning plan verification.
- Existing commercial building energy code.
Discuss the status of COMcheck (15 min):
- COMcheck is only available for buildings that meet or exceed above-code requirements (2015 IECC), NOT for NC’s new 2018 energy code.
- Trade-off options in place of NC specific COMcheck.
Review future code change possibilities (15 min):
- Expanding commissioning requirements from MEP to include building envelope and enclosures by third-party testing agency
- UA Tradeoffs and other methods of Compliance
- Solar PV
- Electric vehicles
- Battery storage
Questions & Discussion (15 min)
- $40 for members and $60 for non-members – discounts available for NCBPA member companies!
- Companies can join NCBPA for as little as $21 per month at BuildingNC.org
- Light food and drinks are included