- This event has passed.
NC Energy Code Workshop Series: Wilmington 07/24/19
July 24, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 4:30 pm$175
North Carolina transitioned to new commercial and residential energy codes on January 1st and since then architects, developers, code officials and many others are learning how to best meet the new requirements. This eight hour workshop informs attendees of the most critical energy code changes and provides best practices to not only meet the new requirements, but exceed them as well. Instructed by energy code and building science expert Meghan McDermott of High Performance Building Solutions, this workshop will help you, your organization and your customers comply with the new energy code requirements where you need to, and exceed them where you want to.
In addition to the energy code updates, energy efficiency design experts from Willdan will deliver a one hour interactive course demonstrating how energy-efficiency goals—when addressed beginning in schematic design—can be successfully achieved, saving valuable resources such as design time and client budgets. The session begins with an overview of how comparative analysis assists in achieving energy conservation goals alongside factors that drive energy use. A case study building forming the basis of the charrette will be presented, including an overview of conservation strategies available for consideration. Participants will then break out into small groups and assemble “bundles” of selected energy efficiency measures to play out what-if scenarios, discussing the merits and challenges of each bundle. Attendees will improve their understanding of building energy analysis and learn how to take advantage of utility, state and federal rebate and incentive programs along the way.
Learning objectives include:
- Understand the most critical commercial and residential energy code updates in NC’s new codes.
- Learn how to cost-effectively meet and exceed the requirements through design and installation practices and product selection considerations.
- Recognize the value early energy analysis provides to the design process and client decision-making.
- Identify a range of energy-efficiency options and their impacts on energy outcomes during various stages of design.
- Interpret building performance and financial information provided by energy analysis results including lifecycle costs.
- Understand how decisions made very early in pre-design can increase energy savings opportunities.
Workshop presenters include:
- Meghan McDermott – Co-Owner & Architectural Engineer, High Performance Building Solutions
- Ryan Miller – Executive Director, North Carolina Building Performance Association
- Jeanne Huntsman, Renee Hutcheson, Elizabeth Bowen and Hannah Christoph of Willdan (formerly The Weidt Group)
CEUs are available for AIA HSW and BPI. Code Official CEUs are in-process and may be available.
Visit our Events Calendar to view the other workshop locations and dates in this series.
Questions? Contact us at Info@BuildingNC.org or 919-841-6207.