- This event has passed.
2020 Building Performance Workforce Development Summit: Feb 4
February 4, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
This one-day Summit brings together private industry companies, community college staff and faculty, nonprofits, state and local government representatives, and others to share information and develop the resources that community college students need to find entry-level jobs and lasting careers in North Carolina’s energy efficiency, green building and high performance construction trades! Diverse working groups will discuss and form recommendations to address our most critical needs, focusing on career paths, curricula, diversity, job placement and more!
What does North Carolina’s building performance industry need from the Community College System?
How can community college faculty address these needs?
Join us to find out!
Have questions? Please contact us at Info@BuildingNC.org or 919-841-6207.
Scroll down for more information!
The Summit welcomes a wide variety of stakeholders involved and interested in supporting community college students finding job and career opportunities in North Carolina’s building performance industry. Attendees will include:
- Community college staff and faculty
- Private industry professionals involved in recruiting, hiring and training
- State and local government officials involved in job placement and career development programs
- Nonprofits and industry associations offering support and resources to students, companies and communities
The Summit will provide opportunities for all stakeholders to meet and greet with attendees in similar roles and positions as themselves, but will also offer opportunities to meet and work with individuals from different backgrounds and roles, to promote information sharing and learning across education, industry and government sectors. The agenda includes:
- 8:00am – 9:00: Registration and networking
- 9:00 – 10:00: Opening comments from organizers, Sponsors and guests
- 10:00 – 10:30: Panel discussion on critical topic areas
- 10:30 – 11:45: First working group sessions
- 11:45 – 12:15pm: Discussion on working group findings
- 12:15 – 1:00pm: Networking lunch
- 1:00 – 2:00pm: Second working group sessions
- 2:00 – 3:00pm: Group discussion on working group results
- 3:00 – 4:00pm: Facilitated discussion to prioritize next steps
- 4:00pm: Adjourn
Topic areas to be covered at the Summit include areas that were prioritized at NCBPA’s September 2018 Workforce Development Summit in Raleigh that helped to identify the most important areas of opportunity and need for community college students, our industry and other stakeholders. Topics areas for this Summit will include, but are not limited to:
- Defining what North Carolina’s building performance industry needs from the Community College System, and vice versa, in order to place community college students into entry-level positions and lasting careers with North Carolina businesses.
- Developing new and updating existing community college curricula that prepared students for entry-level jobs and lasting careers in North Carolina’s building performance industry.
- Developing Apprenticeship Programs that provide company-sponsored education and on-the-job training that can lead to immediate job placement upon graduation.
- Developing Career Pathways resources that inform students, their parents and faculty of the job and career opportunities available to students, and what education, work experience and certifications are needed to obtain them.
- Promoting and supporting existing internship and co-op programs across the state, while encouraging more colleges and companies to participate in existing programs or create new ones.
- Identifying new and improved state and local resources needed by government agencies, workforce development nonprofits, and other stakeholders to support education, training and job placement resources.
- Implementing resources that improve the diversity, equity and inclusion of available industry jobs, support programs for workers and recruiting channels for community college students.
Registration and Fees
Registration is open to all interested parties. Thanks to our sponsors, low fees for the Summit include:
- Community College Faculty: Free
- Nonprofit and Government Workers: Free
- Private Industry Professionals: $75 per person
Need travel assistance? Thanks to our sponsors, faculty may be eligible for travel vouchers to cover their costs to attend the Summit. To apply, simply select that option on the registration form and NCBPA staff will contact you with more information.
The Summit will not be possible without the support and funding provided by industry firms that are committed to hiring community college students and supporting their faculty across the state.
Sponsorship levels of $200 – $1,500 are available to help pay for the travel costs of Faculty members and the Summit’s event costs, such as meals and supplies.
Contact us if you’d like to participate. Or, simply purchase a Sponsorship on the registration website!
Click on a link below to find additional information on these and other workforce development topics of importance to these and other stakeholder groups:
Results from NCBPA’s September 2018 Workforce Development Summit – click on the file below:
From North Carolina Community College System:
- About the North Carolina Community College System
- Find a college near you
- Resources for students
- Find a job with NCCCS