Students! We need your help!
As you may have read in my recent interview with the Insulation Institute, building a High Performance Training & Career Center on Wheels that can be used to educate and support students across our state is a top priority for NCBPA!
We’re preparing to launch a GoFundMe campaign to raise the $50,000 needed to purchase plans, materials, a trailer and products to start construction! But before we do, we need a design!
YOUR TASK: Using SketchUp or your preferred software, create your design for the exterior and interior of this project using 84 Lumber’s “Countryside” tiny home as your starting point. Forget the interior niceties, this home will need to be road-worthy, flashy on the outside and spacious on the inside!
We’re looking for you to design an entirely off-grid, self-sufficient home that can be used to provide training on high performance construction techniques and resources for industry careers. And, no one is going to live in it! In place of a sink, refrigerator or even a toilet, we want to see cut-outs of framing details, exposed mechanical systems, an energy storage system and different types of insulation on the inside or outside.
Submit your design by March 10th to be included in a national social media contest to select the design that will be used for our GoFundMe campaign! Your participation will put your design out to thousands of industry professionals and help us get one step closer to launching our fundraising campaign!
There aren’t many stipulations or requirements for the contest, so have a go at it and contact us with questions! More information is provided below. Check back often as we’ll answer questions and provide more detail as needed.
Play a role in supporting our industry’s future workforce – which includes you!
I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Founder & Executive Director
- One primary image of the outside of the home.
- One primary image of the inside of the home.
- Cut-out/highlight images of exterior or interior high performance features.
- Short descriptions or comments detailing key features of our design.
- Named products are okay! Use photos of products or materials as needed.
- The goal is net-zero energy with Passive design, renewable energy, energy storage and an electric vehicle charging station.
- Certifications or ratings can be included but aren’t required, so long as it can be measured to perform!
- For the interior, we are looking for an open space that allows for tours and some seating. We’ll be giving short presentations and handing out brochures (yes, paper) during site visits. No one will live or stay in this house, so forget the living essentials!
Email one or two (no more!) PDF documents with your design images and name listed to Info@BuildingNC.org by March 10th. Include a 4 to 5 sentence description of your project that will be included in the contest.
Community college, technical college and university students currently enrolled in North Carolina institutions.